Letters to my Little Ladies

8:52 PM

 Love and the LBD


This is the first of what I hope are many letters to my little ladies.  This is take it or leave it information, my little ladies.  I simply love to write, and love to love you. 
Read at leisure, but with a little compassion for your mother.

Coco Chanel once said, "Dress like you are going to meet your worst enemy today."
Well, girls, life can be your worst enemy, and you will meet it today, and tomorrow, and the next day.  It won't always be an enemy, but your mama, and Van Morrison told you there'd be days like this. When you are considering someone to date, someone to fall in love with, someone to face today, tomorrow, and the rest of your life with, know that they should be like a little black dress.

The little black dress became popular in the 1920s, with its burst of popularity attributed largely to Coco Chanel.  She knew a woman needs to feel classy, fabulous (her words), beautiful and confident in any circumstance.

 There are shiny sequined evening gowns that you sparkle in for a special event, but end up feeling restricted and unable to breathe in, like a python has you in full grip, by the end of the night.

There are sweat pants that are utterly comfortable, but never give you the boost to go get that new job, make that new connection.  They don't make you feel fabulous, just comfortable.

There are trendy clothes that are in today, but fade with the next new thing in a season or two.

When I imagine our future holidays, family get togethers, I think of how I want my girls to be happy, classy, fabulous, and confident.  I want each of your respective loves to just fall right in to our family humor and dynamic.  I imagine the jokes that come easy among us, the new things we learn from these gentleman about their studies or travels, the quirks and talents that surface. I want each of you little ladies to be uplifted by the person you eventually bring home with you (and be up-lifting, too).

I want you to sparkle, and I want you to be comfortable, but above that, I want you to have a love that endures, and cloaks you in confidence to face those days that conspire against you like an enemy.

Love and the LBD endure.

Always,
Mom

You Might Also Like

0 comments

@seriouslystoffel